Friday, August 24, 2012

be great


I see that phrase everywhere here.
Be great.
I am in no way promoting Jones,
I believe most everything here is overrated,
but I have always wanted to be great!

When I was small,
I  was confused,
about life and the people in and out of mine.
II always yearned to be great.

My idea of greatness was always different than the other kids.
We would play super hero games,
and I would always wanted the smallest,
most insignificant super power.
I thought I could take something everyone thought was nothing,
and make it into something amazing.
The up side to that tactic,
I was different from everyone.
Everyone wanted to do and be the most popular.
I wanted to be small,
so I could show everyone that the small things matter.

That idea has followed me.
Now I want to be small,
and make known my flaws,
so that they can see God shine through them.

I used to find greatness in silly things,
I identified myself by them,
yearning to mold myself to the ideas in my head.

A single mother, devoted and loving,
A strong individual,
A beautiful heart through hardship,
An underpaid job making big differences,
Someone standing through a storm,
Better yet,
Someone fighting through a storm,

I find the broken people beautiful,
and I have great respect for people putting forth effort.
Those things define greatness.

I now envision big things,
HUGE things.

I am getting my PhD in Social work,
Yes,
lowly social work.
Of course I will work with the system for a while.
Ultimately,
I want to get involved with a nonprofit organization,
I want to make it HUGE.
I want to reinvent the orphanage,
I want to reach out to broken people everywhere,
I want to give everyone a chance to be great.

Offer food and clothing,
Offer housing,
Offer social services,
Stability,
Love,
The things we all need.

I want to be great.
No so much [I] want to be great,
as I want [God] to be great in me.

There is a comment box here
So help curb my curiosity,
what do you see greatness as???

No comments:

Post a Comment