Thursday, July 7, 2011

imperfect beauty

Here I am; Human, imperfect, and beautiful. 
Beauty.  The definitions are endless.
Webster’s dictionary says this: beau’ty n., pl. –ties  1 pleasing quality as in looks, sound, etc.  2 person or thing of beauty
Webster’s thesaurus says this: beautiful a. lovely, attractive, appealing, comely, pleasing, pretty, fair, fine, nice, dainty, good-looking, delightful, charming, enticing, fascinating, admirable, rich, graceful, ideal, delicate, refined, elegant, symmetrical, well-formed, shapely, well-made, splendid, gorgeous, brilliant, radiant, exquisite, dazzling, resplendent, magnificent, superb, marvelous, wonderful, grand, awe-inspiring, imposing, majestic, excellent, impressive, handsome, divine, blooming, rosy, beauteous, statuesque, well-favored, bewitching, personable, taking, alluring, slender, svelte, lissome, lithe, bright-eyed, classy*, easy on the eyes*, long on looks*, built*. -Ant. Ugly, deformed, hideous.
According to Webster, very few things don’t fall into the category of beautiful. To be exact, beautiful has 64 synonyms versus 3 antonyms.  Even the words you’ll find as antonyms could very possibly still hold features that could be considered beautiful.
Why do we thrive on negativity?  Why do we look past all 64 synonyms of beautiful to only see the three antonyms?  Often times we make things up to be ugly, and deformed, and hideous, but in all actuality everything holds beauty of some sort.  We are wonderfully made and carefully created by the hands of God.  He gave us His very breath!  Why do we allow Satan to attract us to everything ugly and deformed and hideous? 
I am imperfect, I am ugly, I am deformed, and I am hideous.
I am beautiful, I am lovely, I am attractive, I am appealing, I am comely, I am pleasing, I am pretty, I am fair, I am fine, I am nice, I am dainty, I am good-looking, I am delightful, I am charming, I am enticing, I am fascinating, I am admirable, I am rich, I am graceful, I am ideal, I am delicate, I am refined, I am exquisite, I am dazzling, I am resplendent, I am magnificent, I am superb, I am marvelous, I am wonderful, I am grand, I am awe-inspiring, I am imposing, I am majestic, I am excellent, I am impressive, I am handsome, I am divine, I am blooming, I am rosy, I am beauteous, I am statuesque, I am well-favored, I am bewitching, I am personable, I am taking, I am alluring, I am slender, I am svelte, I am lissome, I am lithe, I am bright-eyed, I am classy, I am easy on the eyes, I am long on looks, and I am built. 
It may not be in the common sense or exact definition of the word, but by the glory of God alone.
And so are you.
We are human. We are imperfect. We are beautiful.
Say it out loud, and proclaim the truths given to you by an almighty creator.
---andriadawn---

1 comment:

  1. Good for you to post this! I think somedays we need to hear this more than others. Thank you for your words of encouragment!

    ReplyDelete